Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Does It Hurt When I Do This?

Today my computer at work abruptly shut off and began to smell of burning plastic. I called our tech guys, who referred me to the manufacturer, a company I won't publicly identify but whose name rhymes with Hell. Good news: it's under warranty.

So the tech support guy, Joe, had me take the cover off and look at the mother board for any sign that something had been burning.

Me: "Nope. Looks clean."

Joe: "Hmmm... OK, what I want you to do is, keep the cover off, plug it back in, turn it on, and I'm gonna have you watch the inside to see if you notice any smoke coming from anywhere."

Me: "!"

Joe: "Go ahead."

Me: "Gah! Uh, really? Well, O...K... Can I give you my address first so you can call 911 if you hear me start screaming or something?"

Semi-happy ending: it wouldn't turn on again. No smoke, no fire. Replacement parts due tomorrow.

No comments: