Friday, May 26, 2006

Where's Bin Laden?

245 weeks since 9-11-2001.

Press conference with Dubya and Tony Blair:

Q Mr. President, you spoke about missteps and mistakes in Iraq. Could I ask both of you which missteps and mistakes of your own you most regret?

PRESIDENT BUSH: Sounds like kind of a familiar refrain here -- saying "bring it on," kind of tough talk, you know, that sent the wrong signal to people. I learned some lessons about expressing myself maybe in a little more sophisticated manner -- you know, "wanted dead or alive," that kind of talk. I think in certain parts of the world it was misinterpreted, and so I learned from that.

Dan Froomkin:

And it was on Sept. 17, 2001, during a short exchange with reporters at the Pentagon, that Bush was asked if he wanted al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden dead. "I want justice. There's an old poster out west, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,' " Bush said. Here's that text .

More than four and a half years later, Bin Laden, of course, has still not been captured in either condition.

What was there to be misinterpreted? Catch him! Dead or alive!

No comments: