Thursday, June 08, 2006

Reading...

Stephen Colbert's commencement speech at Knox College. Another stone cold classic. I liked this part:
There are so many challenges facing this next generation, and as they said earlier, you are up for these challenges. And I agree, except that I don't think you are. I don't know if you're tough enough to handle this. You are the most coddled generation in history. I belong to the last generation that did not have to be in a car seat. You had to be in car seats. I did not have to wear a helmet when I rode my bike. You do. You have to wear helmets when you go swimming, right? In case you bump your head against the side of the pool. Oh, by the way, I should have said, my speech today may contain some peanut products.
By the way, is there ANY chance at all that Anne Coulter is actually pulling the greatest fake-out in meta-history, out-ironying even Colbert? 'Cause if she's not, she's nucking futs. Keith Olbermann takes her out:
Honestly, if you were Ann Coulter's attorney at a sanity hearing where could you possibly start?
It is truly pathetic that the only people calling these fanatics out on a national level are, essentially, comedians and other non-journalists like Colbert, Olbermann, Al Franken, Bill Maher and Jon Stewart. Here's Stewart smacking down the nutsoid William Bennett on gay marriage:

Stewart: So why not encourage gay people to join in in that family arrangement if that is what provides stability to a society?

Bennett: Well I think if gay..gay people are already members of families...

Stewart: What?

Bennett: They're sons and they're daughters..

Stewart: So that's where the buck stops, that's the gay ceiling.

Bennett Look, it's a debate about whether you think marriage is between a man and a woman.

Stewart: I disagree, I think it's a debate about whether you think gay people are part of the human condition or just a random fetish.

No comments: